Saturday, October 14, 2006

The List: Re-Cap

Thought I'd do a quicky re-cap on where I'm at with completing items on the no-dating-until-it's-all-done list. It's been 3+ months since I began and I'm only 45% completed. By my calculations, I will be committed to being single for another four months. Perhaps, I should just be committed...

Note how I tackled the easier ones first.

I should have went for the karaoke straight off. And perhaps that "Minor Celebrity" item is going to come back and bite me in the ***. Not literally ofcourse. Canadian celebrities aren't savages or anything (although I have heard rumors about Tom Green).

#1.
Write the list (an easy item to check off!) COMPLETED
#2. Rent every movie I've always wanted to watch but didn't, begin chronologically with Bus Stop. IN PROCESS
#3. Donate items to charity including subtlely sweaty and sweet smelling alma mater sweatshirts from ex-boyfriends/ex-dates/ex-repair men, soft fuzzy stuffed bunny, and compilation CD of "our songs".
COMPLETED
#4. Go horseback riding (Note: something my married sister always wanted to do...and thought it could go on my list. She has forgotten all too soon about what the dating world is really like and is having way too much fun thinking of items to add to my list). COMPLETED
#5. Pay off a credit card ($798.13 to go).
#6. Build something. Out of wood. With tools. Assembling "something" from box labelled Ikea with Allen key does not count. COMPLETED
#7. Do online research to discover why above mentioned tool is called an Allen key.
#8. Sign up for a dance class (leg warmers optional).
#9. Wait in line at a book signing for author's autograph. Book topic/ title do not matter, as too busy checking items off list to read. Make small talk. Add book to items to be donated to charity.
#10. Decide to make time for reading, take on "Tabloid Love" a memoir by Bridget Harrison as more of reference material than shameless reading. COMPLETED
#11. Take cooking class.
#12. Learn foreign language.
#13. Go on out-of-town vacation. COMPLETED
#14. Buy new "little black dress" (a necessity for black tie affair at end of the month at my friend Charlene's house, which is also out of town - a way to cross two things off my list!). COMPLETED
#15. Run a 5km race. TRAINING UNDERWAY
#16. Get a fab new haircut (perhaps the biggest challenge on the list...what else can you do with curly hair except wear it a la SJP?). COMPLETED
#17. Join a "non-competitive" sports team (but secretly play competitively). COMPLETED
#18. Get a tattoo.
#19. Attempt karaoke [again].
#20. Run through a sprinkler (naked optional).
#21. Get card/palm reading done from well-known local psychic. COMPLETED

#22. Hob nob with minor Canadian celebrity.

Bloody hell. What have I gotten myself into?

[Post Update:
#7. Do online research to discover why above mentioned tool is called an Allen key. COMPLETED Thanks Peter! Make that 11 down, 11 to go. ]

8 comments:

Peter said...

Do online research to discover why above mentioned tool is called an Allen key.

They are called Allen keys in North America because the company that first manufactured them in these parts was the Allen Manufacturing Company (or Corporation?)

A tattoo? Really?

Erika said...

Thanks for helping me out Peter :)

Now, did you want to get the tattoo for me too? I'm a little scared of the potenital for pain.
I was thinking of something small, in gaelic, just below my neck. B-i-l told me to keep it small b/c guys don't like big tattoos.

Peter said...

Yeah, I'm no fan of tattoos at all. Getting 'em. Looking at 'em. Them existing.

I considered getting one at 19. Glad I didn't. I'd be sitting here looking at a Cameron House (Dalhousie dorm) "killer cod" on my calf.

Julene said...

Can we get a judge's ruling? Does having a devoted fan email the answer count as "Do[ing] online research?" If that counts, then I can't believe how many times I've "do[ne] online research" on how to improve my package. And I don't even have a package.

As for your timetable, I think it is going to take you longer than a few months to learn a foreign language, unless you plan to learn "Australian" as the language.

Erika said...

Julene: I guess I've always been a quick learner. I was leaning toward Spanish (I already know how to speak "Australian" ;) I don't need to become totally bilingual, just learn some of the basics.

Kirsten Sampson said...

I think that everyone should have a list of items they really want to achieve whether they are single or not. Good trend setting sis.

Kirsten Sampson said...

oh and I forgot, you'll have to find someone other than myself to carry you on Karaoke night. For those who are unaware, big sis and I got up to sing "Like a Virgin" when the song started Erika sang, "Like a Virgin, oh my voice doesn't sound good... and little sis had to sing the rest of the song by herself...

Erika said...

Kiki, to be accurate (and I like to be), I believe I said "Aaaaaa, I don't remember Madonna's voice being this high. I can't sing this high" during our karaoke adventure. But yes, little sis you were on your own before the end of the first verse. But in my defense (or something) I think me staggering around and laughing my ass off on stage helped us earn that free round of drinks from those cute guys. Or maybe they thought we were being literal...